Wednesday, February 4, 2009

All My Dreams Daschled Again

You have to allow some slack for the possibility that everything will not work perfectly in government. It’s inevitable that the Obama administration would eventually run into some kind of ironically appropriate and embarrassing obstacles, like unreavealed tax issues for a cabinet nomination, but you have to be impressed by the sheer scope of the impact with respect to Tom Daschle.

I like Tom Daschle, and the truth is that I think he would be okay as secretary of something, but $140,000 in back taxes? Let’s see, when was the last time I even made $140,000 in a whole year, never mind incur a $140,000 tax obligation? To tell you the truth, I can’t remember the last time I made $140,000 in a year. I must have been on drugs or something. Maybe that was the summer of love. But when I consider $140,00 in back taxes against a $150,000 wardrobe, to tell you truth, the wardrobe kind of palin’s by comparison. I consider tax evasion to be even more contemptible than expensive shoes.

How do you pay $250,000 for “car services?” There’s no love lost between me and Sarah Palin, which I’m sure is a great relief to Todd, and so far, I’m in Obama’s corner, but even speaking as a slightly liberal-leaning, independent conservative, if we’re not going to allow some kind of double standard here, Daschle did the right thing to hit the road. After all, he’s got a $250,000 car service to take him there. Maybe he should be secretary of transportation instead, or the treasury.

Here’s thinking for you.

Iffy

No comments:

Post a Comment